Thursday, September 12, 2019

Knitting, Knitting, Knitting


This summer has been a hugely productive and sometimes very frustrating knitting fiesta.

Basil the Boogie Woogie Brontosaurus
A little guy needed a dinosaur.   I auditioned two patterns....one was too fussy...the other was the
pattern from hell.  I learned a lot trying to make the hellish pattern work.  I also learned it is okay to through a project in the trash.  Rebecca Danger saved me......Basil the Brontosaurus is now done.

One the the techniques I have wanted to learn for a long time is doing intarsia in the round.  One of the Boost Your Knitting tutorials was truly wonderful.  I used it, not to make the socks which will (later) be for me, but to make a superman hat for my friend Corey that is much more in keeping with the vision I had when I made his hat last year.



Because I like to plan, I used Knitbird to make the superman symbol graph that would work the best look for this project. Next, I did the math and laid out, using Photoshop, what I wanted the had to look like. This was great for trying to position the symbol and for deciding if I wanted a pop of red. This is where I started.....
It was great as I could toggle the red line on and off and decide on whether is was a good idea....and if it was...how wide should the line be?   The sketch shows what I decided to do.

The yarn I choose was a Cascade fingering weight wool.  While the yarn could split a bit, it knits up beautifully.    I am really happy with the finished product.

My hemming could use a bit of work, but I am generally happy with the results:

The Front

Superman 2019 hat back view....
The back with the intarsia in the round area highlighted.
Will I try intarsia in the round again.  Yes....because it lets me do things I want to do....and I want to get better at it.

More critters are on the needles....I will say that after a few more, I will take a loooooooooooooooong break from doing animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment