Wednesday, May 15, 2024

A Throw in Ocean Teal

 My friend Sandra saw this yarn in a store near where she lives.   Bernat Blanket Ombre in Ocean Teal is a super bulky yarn that knits up quickly and can go through the washer and dryer.....

Cake of Bernat Blanket Ombre in Ocean Teal

I used size 10 needles to get the fabric I want.   As I am a relaxed knitter and this yarn really has no give, I swatched a bit to to get to what I wanted.

While it is not obvious from this picture, the yarn's ombre runs through shades of teal and blue.    Good thing I like the colors a lot and am not tired of them.  I overbought....hate to run out and got a really good priced and cheap shipping...and have enough to knit a second one for someone who loves the first but is not the recipient.

Instagram is teaching me a surprising amount about knitting.   One of the things I saw was a way to make a smooth edge by slipping the first stitch of each row and then making a yarn over.   On the next row, where the yarnover and the slipped stitch are the last two, those stitches are worked together.  I was pretty pleased with the result.

I used three cakes of this yarn for a throw that is 50" by 60" ....  I kept measuring the throw against my body as I knit it to decide when to bind off.

This is what I did:

Cast on 90 stitches using a German Twisted Cast On.

Foundation row:  K10, P10...end K10

Next row:  Slip first stitch as if to purl, yarn over, continue in pattern.

Row 1:    Slip first stitch as if to purl, yarn over.  Work in pattern to last two stitches, Knit 2 tog.

Row 2:  Row 1:    Slip first stitch as if to purl, yarn over.  Work in pattern to last two stitches, Purl 2 tog.

Repeat until you have enough yarn to bind off or until you get sick of doing it our satisfied with the length.

I bound off the on the right side without paying attention to the pattern.   This gave matching edges that, I think, will be more stable.

The result:

Throw knit in Bernat Blanket Ombre


No comments:

Post a Comment